4 thoughts on “Team Photos”

  1. Enjoyed seeing my grandfather, George Wilson, in the 1927 picture when he was the manager. I believe he played early in his career for Raith Rovers and went on to the Hearts and Newcastle United. My mother will enjoy seeing this picture as this was the year she was born and before the family immigrated to Canada.

  2. I see my Grandfather George Wilson in the 1927 team photo. He was the manager then and it must have been just before he came to Canada. I believe he also played for Raith Rovers when he was younger. I have more information on his Newcastle years and would appreciate any information you could pass on.

  3. Also, here is the section of “Always Next Season” about his time as our manager:

    Born in Lochgelly in 1884, as a 15 year old miner he played for Thomson Rovers juveniles, Lochgelly Rangers and, along with his three older brothers who had just fallen out with the committee at Lochgelly United, Buckhaven United prior to joining Cowdenbeath in 1902. In May 1903 he joined Hearts, for whom he scored the only goal of the 1906 Scottish Cup Final. They were twice runners up in the First Division during his spell at Tynecastle. Short and heavily built, he was nonetheless very fast, extremely skilful and was much coveted by leading English clubs for his match-winning ability.

    Along with his brother David (who had a notable career with Everton and Hearts) he cost Everton £800 in May 1906. Having refused to re-sign for the following season, he was dropped from the Cup Final team and signed for Irish club Distillery in the close season of 1907, costing Newcastle United a record fee of £1600 in November 1907. Known, ironically, as “Smiler” because of his dour demeanour, the diminutive goal scoring left winger won League Championship and FA Cup winners medals at St James’ Park. He won 6 Scotland caps between 1904 and 1909, one cap for the Scottish League in 1906, and one cap for the Irish League during his brief spell in Belfast.

    He returned to his native Fife during the First World War and signed for Raith Rovers in September 1915. Five years later he left for East Fife, helping them win the Scottish Qualifying Cup in 1920/21, when he scored the opening goal in the final. While living in David Street in Kirkcaldy, he ran a hairdresser’s and tobacconist’s establishment in the High Street, but on 24th May 1923 he sailed to Vancouver to join several family members who had previously emigrated. He played with the local club St Andrews for a few years and later managed Falls River in the American Soccer League.

    Wilson returned to Kirkcaldy and was appointed Rovers manager in May 1926, leading the club back into the First Division at the first attempt. 1927/28 started badly, however. Wilson recognised that he was ill-suited to the task of rebuilding the club, and he resigned, later returning to Canada, where he died on 2nd June 1960.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *